US M5A1 Halftrack APC
The M5 series of halftrack vehicles was manufactured by the International Harvester Compant (IHC). M5s were built from homogenous steel armour which could be both welded and formed: the latter resulting in the obvious identification feature -smooth, round rear corners. Production of the M5A1 started in October 1943 and continued until March 1944 for a total of 2959 vehicles. All the A1 series of vehicles had the pulpit-mounted .50 cal. MG and were produced with either the front mounted roller or winch.
The halftracks built by IHC were intended for foreign aid and most were supplied to Britain or the Soviet Union under the Lend Lease programme.